I spent the weekend in New York attending my uncle’s funeral. His death wasn’t a surprise, he had been battling cancer for three years, but still, ya know? I have to say, the funeral and all that followed were wonderful in that you could tell he was someone who was well loved.
Music was a big part of my mom (uncle was her brother) and her siblings childhood. They would organize weekly concerts and my uncle was the popular lead singer of one of their bands, Hibiscus, even though he couldn’t sing, hehe. So of course, there was music during the service. His 14 year old daughter sang the first song he ever taught her. And his brothers, my uncles, performing his favorite song as a band with piano, guitar, and vocals. After the service and burial, we all went back to his place for the kind of fete he was famous for. I left around 8, but I heard that folks had to be told to leave in the wee hours, lol.
I also got to see my grandmother’s Honeywell HFD-120-Q this trip. I hadn’t seen her in about six years. She hadn’t met Bebe, and hadn’t seen Girlie since she was a wee babe. My brother and cousins also flew in from around the country and I was glad we were able to provide her with a little distraction and happiness during this rough time.
I don’t have much time to blog these days, so you can usually find me tweeting and once in a while, posting something new on Flickr. I may go quiet again here for some undetermined time or take this site in a different direction. In the meantime, I hope you are all well.
This weekend I:
- Helped Wren and Finch make these and supervised Robin doing this.
- Had tomato sauce in spite of the new allergy I have. I am allergic to tomatoes and tomato products now. I get an ugly little rash on my mouth when I eat any. Think that prevents me from eating it all? No. I just deal with itchy and dried out lips for a few days afterwards. *sigh* I’m hoping it goes away after I deliver.
- Decided the baby needs a proper corner in my bedroom complete with art, a dresser and some of these.
- Wished it were warmer out so I could spray paint.
- Finished the second baby bootie and started some mittens.
- Did not dread Monday coming since I am done with work.
- Made the kids go through all the art they just had to keep. I wish I could go back to just chucking things without them noticing.
- Tried to install the car seat with L and couldn’t get a good fit. So, I went on carseatdata.org and got the number for a safety seat tech. L and I go to get it checked out later this week.
This weekend while using my Manduka PROLite Yoga and Pilates Mat, my body let me know that, hey, I did just have a baby 7 weeks ago, and maybe I should take it down a notch? So, I plan to spend this week doing nothing. Well, not quite. I borrowed a few great movies I’ve been meaning to see from the library. And I’ve got plenty of projects to keep me busy. Plus the books I’m reading.